Study in USA

[do_widget id=nav_menu-5]

Post-study work right/work opportunities along with the studies

F-1 Student Visa

Foreign student must maintain a full course of study and part-time study is only allowed with the approval of the DSO (Designated School Official) as per the rules and regulations. The F-1 student visa allow international students to work 20 hours per week during week days and 40 hours per week during off-days. International students get an hourly salary of $7-12. All F-1 student visa holders are permitted with 1-year of Optional Practical Training (OPT) for every higher education degree.

In order to become eligible for OPT, international student must have completed 1 academic year of their degree. Those who have completed a degree on the STEM (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) courses may be eligible for a 24-month extension of OPT (36 months total).

F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training is a prospect for F-1 students to attain work experience along with their academic programme and their work must be related to their major area of study like:

  • Actuarial Science
  • Engineering Technologies
  • Science Technologies
  • Medical Scientist
  • Biological and Biomedical Sciences
  • Mathematics and Statistics
  • Computer Science (excluding data entry/microcomputer applications)
  • Engineering
  • Physical Sciences

For 24-month extension the organisation who is providing the job must be registered with the E-Verify Employment Verification Programme regulated by US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

J-1 Exchange Student Visa

The J-1 student visa allows international students to work on campus for maximum 20 hours per week during week days and full-time during off-days only with prior permission from the Responsible Officers (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officers (ARO) of their designated programme.

J-1 visa holders are allowed 18 months of Practical Academic Training (up to 36 months for post-doctoral training).